Monday, August 01, 2005

Praying For LIFE in DC

So my roommate went up to DC a few Sundays ago. She is a major prayer warrior and often prays for our leaders. With Sandra Day stepping down and the whole Supreme Court nomination pending she felt like she wanted to go up and pray on site.

Well, we met for a meeting on Saturday morning and she shared this desire she had. As we sat there we told her she needed to go asap. She was thinking it'd be cheaper to go up in September and blah, blah. But the spirit was saying to go now. So she left two days later. That was two weeks ago.

Upon arriving in DC on Tuesday, the news was reporting that President Bush was going to announce his nominee that night. Well needless to say she was a busy girl. She was ushered in to prayer, the press conference and more prayer as soon as she landed.

she's been praying a lot at the Supreme Court with the LIFE tape over her mouth and all.

Here are a few of her words about when she got to meet with Representative Ed Case.

Today I met with Congressman Ed Case. I was greeted by one of his staff who sat in on our appointment. He is very warm and courteous. I thanked him for serving the people of Hawaii and our nation, and let him know the call we - I - have to pray for our leaders like himself.

I asked him if there was anything specific he would like prayer for. There was such a sincerity in his voice. Like King Solomon, he asked that he would make wise decisions, for peace, and for America as she searches her soul in these intense times.
..

I then shared about why I was in D.C., and how we at the JHOP was praying for God to end abortion in our land. I shared about the bloodshed of 46 million plus lives, and as I did, tears streamed down m
y eyes. I can't remember everything I said, but I could definitely feel the Presence of the Lord.

He got some tissue for me and we both wiped our eyes. Half an hour had gone by, but in no way did I feel rushed through the whole time, although I knew our time was ending.
I then asked if I could pray for him and he was very open.

It was a precious, God ordained time. After we finished, he looked at me and said, "You are a Gift, and your prayers show it." ... Anyway, he was appreciative of the prayers
and thanked me. I know God was touching him.

They even went to an abortion clinic the other day and there were pro-choicers out front protesting too. She said it was kinda nuts, (my own words).

We parked a few blocks from Planned Parenthood Metropolitan DC and arrived to about a dozen protesters chanting on bullhorns. According to the JHOP team here, they haven't seen anything like it in a long time! ... The police were there to keep everything in control. (I heard that they can get very violent, and in some cases, would get physical and even rip the tape of our mouths).

Normally the prayer siege teams would stand right in front of the clinic, but since the opposing side claimed they had a "verbal permit," we chose to stand directly across the street on the side
walk facing them. There were about 30 of us. We were encouraged to see a catholic group who had been traveling from Maine praying as well. They held some signs and sang as we silently prayed with LIFE tape on our mouths.

This is reality! It was intense and sobering, and as one might imagine, a very moving experience. We were told that there were workers in orange vests walking the sidewalk near the clinic serving as "Clinic Escorts" who would escort the women into the abortion clinic. We saw several women go in and immediately offered up our prayers for them and their babies and cried out for God to intervene and save them.

I couldn't help but weep knowing that babies are being aborted daily and by the second. One woman who walked in soon later walked out.
Those of you who participated in Hawaii's March for Life may recall the protesters chanting, "Not the church, not the state, women should decide their fate." Similar, but several times more intense as they said some pretty brutal things about us, laughing and mocking us and our God.

So many emotions and thoughts ran through my mind then and continue to even now. I even woke up from a nap weeping in my sleep as God's heart for LIFE stirred within me.
After two hours, we got together and took communion. It was a sacred time as many of us knelt on the sidewalk and wept for the people's salvation and the babies...

We were reminded of Matthew 5, which says,"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

We continued to "stand in the gap" for another hour, fixing our eyes on Jesus, and looking beyond what they were saying and looking into the hearts of the people. ... Being reminded that each of them has a God given destiny, we prayed for God to remove the veil and redeem them for His Kingdom. As intense as this time was, we know that it will get even more intense and ugly...
It was on the news also. Click here to see the news cast. (You'll need Windows Media Player to watch it.)

Its pretty wild what God can do and we just need those who are willing to pray and stand in the gap. Our battle is not against flesh and blood and individuals. It is against the mindsets and strongholds of evil. We will see a culture of LIFE established in our nation. We need to.

I think its great that my roommate is such a radical activist. No one would ever look at her and think that. But because she is such a radical prayer warrior she can't help but activate change in our nation. Go, Blueberry! Go!

No comments: