Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Some News for Y'all

I Hate Porn
BBC News reported that
there may soon be a .xxx along with .com,.net and .org. What do you think will be on the .xxx pages? Pages designated and wholly devoted to sexual perversion. Like we don't have enough porn in the world today we need to specially designate whole domains to the porn industry so we can have more.

More than 10% of all online traffic and 25% of all global net searches are for adult content, according to the ICM Registry. ICM, whatever and whoever that is (some non-profit that would manage the porn domain) originally proposed the .xxx domain to Icann, the organization that polices all domains and approves them. ICM suggested that the domain would help manage filters to keep minors from accessing those sites.

It sounds to me that they want to raise the percentage of online traffic and in that process porn will more effectively destroy families, relationships, lives and our society with an even greater strength.

At present the domain is tabled
for further consideration.

Teen Dies in Fainting Game

I remember when my friends would slightly strangle me to give me that brief black out. Everything would kinda go black and then when I came to, I could see little bubbles popping in the air and my head felt all funky.

I used to think that was kinda fun, until I was told I was killing brain cells. I d
unno why that stopped me, cause I did drugs and alcohol later in life. But it did. I stopped playing the fainting game. I never would've thought anyone would die from it

Well this 15 year old girl often played this game but then she accidently killed herself. Her parents knew she did this often and its quite sad it ended like this. She used a bike chain to cut off her own oxygen.

Tim Wilson said his daughter did not commit suicide. He said the family has reason to believe Kimberly had played the choking game for at least a year, maybe two.

"She had a history of playing this game," Wilson said. "Her death was accidental."

Its a sad thing when parents are aware of something and let it go until its too late. On a very critical note, in my opinion, the parents are responsible for allowing that accident to happen. I know that's a hard statement in the midst of their loss, but there may not've been a loss if they stopped it.

Rick Warren in Rwanda
Pastor Rick Warren, of Saddleback Church, is in Rwanda to see it become the "the first purpose-driven nation." According to Time magazine, he is bringing in resources and has a plan to help the people. The government is working with him and is hopeful.

"The program seems like something that will lift our country in many ways," says Minister of Youth, Culture and Sports Joseph Habineza. The project also enjoys the moral support of White House faith-based initiatives czar James Towey, who says, "In the past, government has been indifferent or hostile toward efforts such as this one. That is not the case with this Administration."

Some people are still skeptical of all the buzz.


Many missions professionals regard short-term site visits by faith-driven amateurs as inefficient. Then there is the program's improvisational aura. "I'm cheering 'em on," says Wheaton's Moreau. "In Africa, programs appearing well connected can instantly attract a mass of people. But I wonder how many at Saddleback have the cross-cultural experience to convert that [enthusiasm] to feet on the ground." Says Furaha Mugisha, editor of the Rwandan newspaper Umuseso: "I think [Warren] has good intentions. Some people may benefit. But he is not different from other pastors we have seen. You won't hear much about his plan after the rally."

Keep your eye on Rwanda. We'll see what happens. Moves like this totally affect the reputation of Christians, missionaries and the church in general. Favor or disfavor can come upon the church as a result. I'm not a fan or anything in particular of Warren, he has a good book, but I do pray that the church would grow in favor and power in Rwanda. That would be a great thing for the Kingdom of God.

No comments: