I didn't realize, until this conference, that since I became a Christian I thought "sex is just an animal instinct. The Lord knew we couldn't manage it so He gave us marriage so we could live functionally and not get all nuts." But then I realized this line of thinking doesn't make sense, as marriage itself doesn't manage anything.
David Kyle Foster, who used to be a homosexual prostitute and has had his life turned around by God was the guest speaker for the weekend. On Sunday morning he opened with the very question of what the point of sex was. He talked about how we could just have reproduced by "clapping our hands," rather than the whole messy ordeal of the sex, marriage, divorce, and all the other messed up stuff that is tied to sex. My pastor mentioned He could've made us to have seeds like plants, or lay eggs like fish even.
Things would be so much simpler if we just clapped our hands to reproduce. I mean think about it, we wouldn't have rape, sexual abuse, kidnapping or some of the perverse murders we have. We certainly wouldn't have abortion, the morning after pill, or even need birth control. All you'd have to do is not clap your hands if you didn't want kids.
Well, back to our present reality or dealing with what the point of making sex so intense, so emotional, so desirable and so complicated is. Foster referred us back to Adam and Eve and how Adam was taken from the dirt and Eve was taken from his side. God could have made her from the dirt also, but He decided to create her from Adam instead.
He also mentioned how the Lord said "Let us make man in our image," and God's image is the Trinity. When you think about it, Adam and Eve were one and then became two. Then they came together and became 3 and 4. By having Cain and Abel. But they were all in a weird way still one. Cain and Abel were also bone of Adam and Eve's bone and flesh of their flesh. Note: I'm not explaining the Trinity as much as I am referring to the multiplicity and the union of it.
The point Foster mentioned (and I'm adding stuff too, so its not word for word) was that the Lord also gave man the ability to co-create like He does. We can create life. It's not to our own credit, but it is an ability that we were made with.
Also, the union of a man and a woman is the rejoining of Adam and Eve, to their oneness state. Some people are single for life and they can marry God. But for the rest of us the marriage that reunites us, in that original creation, is with a person of the opposite sex. There is a wholeness that comes with that union and the process of creating life in the union.
Basically, sex is holy and its a celebration of the awesomeness of God. You could even say it is worship unto the Lord. Not any sex would be a form of holy worship but a healthy union in the structure of marriage of a man and a woman who know God as their Lord, I would say could be worship. All other forms of sex have basically become a mockery of what God intended it to be initially.
Even the issue of marriage is a main part of the picture. The marriage is the covenant agreement between a man and a woman. A covenant is more than just a contract. It's an agreement unto the very lives of the persons in the covenant. Yes, God told Moses they could divorce, but he still hates divorce and the breaking of vows and covenants. (Sorry, its King James, if you look at other translations it says divorce. This page automatically does KJV, but offers other versions if you look for it.)
The Bible has a handful of scriptures on the marriage of a man and a woman (Gen. 2:24) and how they should treat eachother (Eph. 5:28-33).
Now that I hear it, it is so simple and yet it still boggles my mind, I am telling everyone I talk to what the point of sex it. Its a holy union or restoring the oneness of Adam and Eve in a manner of worship to God who allows us to bring forth life like He does.
I dunno, that is still mind blowing to me and I sense its even more than that.
Foster spoke on many other things and referenced more scripture. The talk was mainly on us being married to the Lord - "The Divine Marriage". If you want to hear more on that I can get you a tape of the full message.
And if you want to read more of his teachings or other information on sexual brokenness, homosexuality, etc. go to Mastering Life Ministries webpage. I highly recommend reading his testimony, there are a few different testimonies he has listed, from being the preacher's kid, being age nine and wanting to commit suicide, to later in his life when he went to Israel. His testimony is pretty awesome and really shows what our God can do with our messed up lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment