Awhile back our young adults group attempted a little postmodernism study in reading "The Shaping of Things to Come - Innovation and Mission for the 21st century Church" by Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch. I'm sure its just one part of the postmodern concept.
There were a lot of good points in the book. (Don't ask me right now as I need to review what I really liked.) And there were some things I didn't like.
I was reminded of my opinion of the postmodern movement in the church today when I read David's "If you Build It They Will Come" post on his The Way page.
So here are my thoughts on postmodernism for you all to comment on.
I think everything can become a ritual or made sacred with candles and a set mood. Everything can be significant and you can stimulate emotions by setting. I dunno but if its setting, and the event it doesn't have to be God. People can live with hype, emotion and events but then lives aren't really changed. They are just playing "real life." The mark of Jesus is a changed life.
I think people do want more spirituality. They want to know it was done beyond their own ability, because that means there is hope that the impossible can happen. There is hope that there is a God, that someone is in control of their lives, that there is a reason things happen and that Someone cares.
I don't think everyone needs to experience the manifestations of the Holy Spirit stuff where they are holy rollers, or laugh till they hurt, (which I love). Its up to the Lord what they need to experience. But I think everyone needs to know the presence or peace of the Lord. They need to hear the Lord's voice and they need to Fear Him as Almighty God. Then lives will be changed and miracles will happen.
Oversimplified, you say? Well, its a mindset that needs to shift. According to Barna's report today Christians in America are more moral than they are Biblical and they believe they know their purpose and that God loves them. So why are the young adults and teens so hungry for the things of the world? Why does it matter that they go to church and sit and listen to some guy talk at them about God? Why do they find worship with candles and dim lights and artwork more reverent than singing with fluorescent lights? If they have their own relationship with Jesus and worship Him constantly it doesn't matter if you attend Sunday service or not. What matters is the relationship with Him, accountability with others and authoritative covering?
I think we in the church push the Sunday event out of proportion. People aren't gonna get saved because they want to join our Sunday morning "club." They should get saved because they see they need to be. And that is only done by the Holy Spirit who convicts us, not by mere words.
My opinion postmodernism is just candy to our flesh. Its the same old church just dressed up for the Friday night young adults service.
My church has gone to the house church model and we are trying to be more accountable and missional in our lives. Its really kind of an experiment. But I've heard so many young people respond with "cool" to the term house church that its makes me cringe everytime I hear it. They don't even know the values we have, or what we are trying to accomplish. Its just cool cause its something out of the norm and kinda funky.
Honestly, its a challenge and the truth is if we don't get into missional gear and think more out of the box, in about 3 years or less our church will just implode. It will just be the same people forever and we will all rot.
To me it seems these generations are desperate for something different, something that will feed their senses more. I honestly think God can work in any environment, but if people need that environment to find God, it just becomes a hindrance.
People in third world countries don't have luxuries like we do in our churches. They are poor and/or persecuted. They meet with God wherever they are, no matter what their environment. In fact they connect with Him because of their oppressive environment.
And most of all, I never read about Jesus trying to set anything up for the people to get into a mood to acknowledge the Father. Or trying to reach out to certain ages or types of people. He just fed them, or healed them, or saved them from being killed. And after he was crucified, he just showed up in the locked room where all the disciples were together and freaked them out. He actually did stuff that changed lives and minds.
I wish the church would return to its calling of dealing with lives, hearts and eternal souls and not just the temporal things around us. He said we would do all He did and even greater things than He did. When is that gonna happen in the Church in America?
No comments:
Post a Comment