I don't know what my career is actually but I pretty much have done almost everything, from teaching sailing, writing, waiting tables, teaching english at a Hawaiian language immersian school, to bartending, to designing children's books, to finally running a church office. And those are just things I got paid for.
So now I'm off to do bookeeping for my pastor's construction business. I'm a little, ok a lot, scared, being that I don't even balance my own check book. I'll definately learn a ton. And hopefully he won't have to fire me.
Now that our church has moved to House Churches, there isn't much for me to do in the office. Everything is pretty much self sustaining. And so I was thinking of really building up my graphic design business that is just sitting around waiting for me to do it. Then Pastor Mark asked me if I wanted to work with him. I prayed about it and didn't get any huge, resounding, open heaven experience, reply. But I did feel like it was an opportunity to learn something I've never learned. Little did I know how it wasn't just in the arena of construction, but finances. I'm so intimidated by finances.
While we waited for him to get insurance so he could renew his license, I doubted that I should do this and thought of looking for at other options. See, the insurance rates were so high, he said he wasn't gonna work for the insurance companies. We had a deadline, too, he needed to renew his license by a certain date or he'd have to wait 3 months to get a new license.
The whole process was a full test of faith. But at the same time it was like, ok Lord if you told us to do this then something radical needs to happen to really have your mark on it. Pastor Mark even preached on Sunday that we need to journey beyond what makes sense sometimes.
He said, and I love this, "If you obey God only when it makes sense, you'll only have provision that makes sense. But if you obey God when it doesn't make sense, you will have provision that doesn't make sense." I want that kind of life. If God promised to provide and I need to obey Him, then I want to see and live in His miraculous ways. What better payoff is there than that? It's so worth it to follow and see crazy things work out.
So today I found out that he got insurance at some crazy low rate. That was the mark of God's hand on this. So we are all steam ahead. It was like it was a test to really stick to what He said for Mark to do. Even though the Lord didn't tell me necessarily to go into this I joined him on this endeavour so I was tested in it, too. I fully doubted and everything, too.
But I realized that the Lord is merciful in testing us. I mean He gives us His word and direction to follow and all we have to do is follow. But then we get distracted or think of something "better" we should do and mess ourselves up. But its like He reminds us cause he knows how ADD we can be and he tests us in to be disciplined in our faith in Him and His promises.
He didn't promise He'd get everything together for us and blah, blah, blah. He called Pastor Mark to do the business. So if He tells us to do something it must be possible. Its just hard for us to stick to it, especially when it seems impossible. I mean who wants to hope in something that looks like its going to fail? I don't! All my abilities to make myself secure were totally kicking in. I so resisted reading the paper or contacting people I could work with in design.
So here I am, going into bookkeeping and who knows what else. Will I fail? I think I'll feel like I will. But if the Lord wants Mark to do this business and for it to go well, I need to believe He will make sure I do a good job. If it wasn't a God thing, I'm sure I'd totally mess up. Should be interesting though, don't expect it'll be easy. But I think I can expect His blessing and that should be interesting to see what comes of this.
2 comments:
Amen Sister! Can I get a witness on the trust when it seems crazy issue?!?! I'm excited to hear that the insurance has come through and to see that God is moving on what he has initiated. Awesome.
So ya changed your "industry" in your profile, so its all official now. good stuff. The kids song "Bob the Builder" comes to mind..."Can we do it..Yes we can!".
Post a Comment