
Mom & Dad in 2001 and in 1971.
My parents divorced when I was about 2 or 3. They'd only been married a few years and it was over as quick as it started it seemed. (As if I was there.)
Don't know exactly how my parents met, but they did. It was in Los Angeles, Hollywood, I believe. Mom said when she dancing with my dad one night she knew she was going to marry him. It scared her so she avoided him after that.
I dunno what happened but, dad ended up going to Hawaii with his friend Rex. They got in all kinds of trouble there. Don't ask, but lets just say there were some laws broken.
Anyway, he went back to Hollywood and while there he looked for my mom. Counldn't find her, but they randomly crossed paths on the street. So he asks her to move to Hawaii. They do and live happily ever after. That is until they divorced.

Mom and Dad's first wedding on May 7, 1971.
So then my life goes on and things happen. But then around my junior high years my parents are living together again. So then one day they pull me aside and say they are getting re-married.
My response was "What are you guys crazy? Why?" You'd think I'd want my parents to remarry. But I didn't they fought too much. Shortly after that they had the big separation and dad moved out.
Life went on again and a number of years passed. In 1997 mom, moved up to Las Vegas to where dad was living because the cost of living in Hawaii was too high. They shared a house and lived like roommates. It sounds strange but when that's your family, as my dad would say, "that's just what it is."
So it wasn't until about 4 years ago did I begin to think differently. I suddenly had a revelation that my parents are living together and they were once married so they should be married. It really was a mind bender for me, but I knew that God hates divorce. Yeah, he allowed it, but he still hates it. So I began to pray for my parents to remarry.
Then I remember the memory of me telling my parents they were crazy to remarry and felt like I cursed them by speaking that over them. It was like a curse saying, "You'd be crazy to remarry." So I prayed to break that off them and then asked their forgiveness. Their response was, "yeah, ok, sure." That went well I thought.
So I'm praying for them to remarry and knowing its not my desire but God's. I really couldn't ever imagine them remarried and as a couple. My whole life they never seemed that way to me. Well, that was until 6 months later, on a visit to Hawaii, I see them holding hands. I had never seen my parents hold hands.
"What are you guys doing, holding hands?" I said. "What, we're in love! Can't we hold hands?" my dad says. I was shocked. I know I was praying for it but I didn't expect it.
Now by this time they had been divorced, 27 years. And now they are in love. RANDOM! Or is it a miracle? I say it's a random miracle.
So I proceed to investigate how this came about. They didn't tell me much, but I did find out that my dad has always loved my mother and apparently had asked her to marry him a few other times. And that my mother was apparently still scared since she had danced with him.
So I told them I knew a bunch of pastors and if they wanted to get remarried we could make it happen. I didn't think they were gonna do anything but just thought I'd throw it out there. Don't want to loose momentum when things start rolling y'know.
I also informed them that if they did want to do anything they'd need to get a license tomorrow as it was the last weekday before they left. They didn't say anything. The next day I loaned them my car to go shopping at the swap meet and buy all their gifts. I found out later that as soon as they dropped me off, they headed straight for the Department of Health to get their license. However, they ended up not getting their license that day. Instead they came back the following May and had a full on ceremony and invited a bunch of long time friends.
It was so amazing, these people who have known them for years seeing them remarry. The ceremony was great and they were so happy. It was very interesting to me to see my parents like this. Looking through the photo album I have pictures from their first wedding on May 7, 1971 and then I have pictures from May 11, 2002.


Everything came together so well, and we pretty much put the whole thing together ourselves. My cousin, roommates and a few friends did pretty much everything. From making the bouquet of gardenias (I was quite proud of myself), setting up chairs, decorating, pictures, video and even got a pastor from my church. It was the full on laulima deal. And again, thanks you guys for all your help!
I can tell you it never ever, ever crossed my mind to be walking my mother down the aisle. I mean who ever thinks that? But I really felt like it was a significant restoration for me to see my parents remarried. But since then, I think its been an even more significant restoration for both of them to have each other.

4 comments:
The pictures are horrible but that's what happens when you don't use a digital. I'll try make it look better later. Sorry for the eye strain.
What an amazing story- praise God! Wow, kel thanks for sharing that. Its amazing what God can do with relationships and restoration. I like the old photos, how fun. And yes, you are STILL soooo cute!! :)
That's an awesome story, I've only seen that happen in the movies. Hey, I saw your comment on my blog, and so I wanted to get back to you. I'm wondering if this is the same kelly, because your blog is different and I didn't know you were from Hawaii. So you're going to have to get back to me, K?
Wow...you know, when I hear the word "miracle," I usually think of physical healings--the kinds I pray for and struggle to keep faith for--and not things as...close to me?...as the restoration of families. But today I found out about two miracles God did for people around me. One of my students was born in Turkey to a single mother, and would have been thrown away (or grown up with rocks thrown at her), but an American Air Force couple found out about her and adopted her. And one of my coworkers said that her friend's dad, who has Alzheimers, wandered off yesterday morning in Kaneohe Botanical Gardens and didn't come home. The police searched for him, and found him early this morning. Each of those were miracles that help me see that God does love us.
Post a Comment