
...do not dwell on the past. See I am doing a new thing. Now it springs up; do you not percieve it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland. Isaiah 43:18-19
So my church has officially launched from the large corporate Sunday service to small house churches. No more meetings every Sunday, walking in to a band, up front singing and people coming in at any old time. Then the message by my wonderful pastor standing up to share all the Lord has put on his heart to rally us to live holy lives. Being moved in my heart and spirit, then going off to lunch and living life as always and forgeting those weighty words when later asked what they talked about at church.
An exciting blessing about this whole house chruch deal is its mainly mission focused and going out. Not getting together so we can grow introverted. This is a good challenge for me because if my whole life is a mission field, I need to live differently. If I am the church, I need to be holy. It's no longer the go to the holy building and then maybe the pastor will say something and I'll be changed. I need to be the holy temple filled with his glory and power.
In house churches we all participate in church rather than just take it in. Its small enough that we all can share. We all need to think missionally and apostolically. We hopefully will, break off and start a small housechurch later. And it doesn't need to be in a house. I can be in a box, with a fox, a fox in socks. It can be here or there or anywhere! (Quotes from the distinguished Dr. Suess.)
Can you tell I'm stoked we are leaving the old structure and going to small groups? I do love my church and all and churches still have an important place in our society. But I think God is doing a new thing in our day and I can't wait to see it unfold. I don't know that this is for everyone but its definately for us.
Its like pouring new wine into new wineskins and seeing how the skin will strech and what the wine will taste like when its finished its fermenting process and becomes old wine. The new wine is the mission or apostolic goal. The skin is the house church.
You can't pour new wine, or a new perspective into an old structure because the new perspective or goal will burst the structure. Sunday morning service isn't apostolic or missional. Bringing someone to church isn't advancing the kingdom. Speaking into their lives, standing with them through life, giving them hope and loving them, thats giving them a new perspective and sharing Jesus with them. With those points you don't need a church building. You do need a community, it can be small. And you do need the word of God.
I shared last Friday with a friend from another church about what we're doing, and his response was, "Weird!" Lots of people are tripping on what we're doing. My mom first thought we were becoming some weird cult. Funny thing is a few other people asked the same thing.
We're not starting a new cult or funky sect, dont worry. Our denominational leaders have discussed and blessed all we are doing with my pastor and our leaders. I think its pretty funny, but most of all I like that we are causing confusion. confusion can be a good thing when it gets people to think differently then they've thought before. Amazing things can happen when you look at something from another perspective. You might be a changed person.
Another reason I'm excited is, like I've told my pastor and others, "my friends wouldn't come to church." I'm still amazed I myself even go to church. I feel like I have been given permission to finally live in the world again. Don't get me wrong, my life is sold out to Jesus. I don't want to be in the world to party or anything like that, but because I want to advance the Kingdom and try new ideas.
I live church pretty much, I work for the church, socialize with Christians and live with Christians. So I can advance the Kingdom only so much in them. They basically already have the Kingdom. My heart is more for those who need hope and love.
Also, I'm stoked my job is changing since we aren't doing regular church. So I'm going part-time into construction. Well the administrative side, not the nails and roofing area. I think I'll learn a lot as its a totally new field for me.
To be honest I know his spirit is on me and in me, but I know I need to be more disicplined and sit at his feet and seek his face. I need to make that my one priority. If others see Jesus in my that pretty much should accomplish whatever he wants to do. I need less of me and more of him.
2 comments:
Ok, i don't really get the idea exactly? Is it like you are all living in a church together? Or do you perform church services at eachother's houses? I am a little confused. Not to mention, this sounds like a new thing, and i am always interested in finding out new stuff,so maybe you can explain it to me.
I was also wondering about something. u said u heard a refrence of me on TV or something? By who? Was it Mona El Tahawy? I am just wondering cause, u know,my vanity is all flatterd by the idea of being mentiond on TV.
LOL.Like i need a bigger ego.
Just a note if you didn't know but Ryan's birthday is the 19th.
Post a Comment