Today was an amazing day. It took me pretty much all day just to get the church bulletin in order. The copier totally fizzled, (ooh, I need to call the copy comp to have it fixed.*), the printer ran out of toner, then wouldn't print, I stepped in a dog's water dish and made my shoe all wet and stinky and then I got stuck in traffic for almost an hour to get downtown to see my aunty at a poetry reading.
But when I got there things got better. It was amazing. First thing my aunty gives me her lei, which I felt horrible because she was the guest speaker. Then I got to see my amazing cousin, who I don't hang out with enough. I was surrounded by familiar faces at the First Friday event and it felt so nice.
My cousin opened with an oli about ho'ohuli and it was awesome. I need to tell her that. It was about things being overturned and changed. It was about the low places rising up and the high places being brought down. It was for me culturally and spiritually God's word in Isaiah, but it was in the breath and life of ka po'e Hawai'i. It was truth and prophecy and it was powerful.
I could on there but that is another story.
Then aunty shared her pieces. That was fun. I love her work. It has so much imagery. She is a great poet and needs to get her book out. (Another thing to add to my task list, help aunty with computer.*)Then she and I hobbled, (she has a broken foot) over to another gallery to look for her friend, but he wasn't there. So I took her home and went back to the scene. As cruised around I ran into more friends, some I hadn't seen in awhile. It was so nice. I wish I wasn't on my way to hear my friends band and meet another friend at a nearby bar. So much to do so little time.
So ran off then saw Harrison play, finally. They were really good. It was cool. Then I ran out and met my friend at a little bar and hung with her for a bit. We talked about life, like we always do. The "monotony of the hampster wheel," is what I call it.
It sometimes feels like I just wake up and go to work, try to have fun or get things done, then go to bed and then do it all again. We can play hard on the weekends but sometimes that doesn't help. I've had weekends where I just stay home all day. I dont even go to the store. The sad thing is that when Monday comes along, I'm refreshed.
I realized that a big part of my "hampster wheel" perception makes me want some kind of excitement or adventure. It almost makes me manic. I would do stupid stuff and make unwise decisions because I "feel" like I'm living on a "hampster wheel."
I'm not in that place right now but I've been there and its not pretty.
After the randomness and freedom of the night, I met up with the band again and we went to eat. It was cool to be by myself and go wherever I wanted and see whoever and do whatever as the time allowed. (If I was with someone we'd have to figure out where we wanted to go and what we wanted to do.) It was great, spontaneous and actually quite perfect.
To top off the night, for dessert at Little Village on Smith St. we ordered the fried mochi. It took 15 minutes and the waitress tried to make us get two orders. But everyone left except the 5 of us. It finally came and it was soooooo delicious. Deep fried mochi with condensed milk. It was the perfect way to celebrate girls day.

No comments:
Post a Comment