My Aunty is always trying to set me up with guys she knows, or even just happens to randomly meet. I don't recall this, but she claims my father told her to find me a man. She has taken to this assignment like Sam did to his assignment by Gandalf to not leave Frodo ever.
Every single time I talk to her she is trying to get me on the path of marriage. Its quite comical, I must say. The best was trying to set me up with her doctor when she was in the hospital a few months ago. The main attribute was that he was nice.
I walked in her room while he was talking to her and looking over her chart. When she saw me she asked him, "Isn't she cute as a button?" He looked at me stunned. Not because of my great beauty, but because he just didn't know what to say. I just smiled modestly trying to not be too embarrassed, but just enough to let him know I understood the awkwardness.
He looked back at the chart and continued to talk to her. Not giving up she blurted out, "What are you doing for dinner?" Intentionally looking at him. He looked at her then turned and looked at me, very puzzled. My aunty patiently waited for his response with a big smile on her face.
I couldn't help it, I said, "My aunty wants to take you out."
"No! I want him to take you out!" she said. The poor young Japanese doctor, in his cultural reservedness, just didn't know what to do with us. Here was a Japanese lady who was outspoken and very unJapanese, with a white niece who have red hair and freckles. And he couldn't figure out who was sexually harassing him.
I don't remember how he escaped but it was very cordial. About a month later, my aunty had gone back for a check up and informed me that he was very sad that he couldn't take me out because he was actually seeing someone. It wasn't the first time she's tried to set me up with someone who was already taken. You'd think she'd check first instead of trying to wreck a relationship.
So she went on to say she had inquired about his brother and if he was seeing anyone. His brother she claims is even a nicer doctor. His brother was not seeing anyone and she asked if she could give him my number.
"I'm on mission from your father," she said, "I must get you married."
I told her to hang on as I was waiting on a potential hopeful. STALLING!
Now she is detemined to set me up with one of her former students who is an artist. She claims he is beautiful and that it doesn't matter that he is much younger than me. She even wrote a poem asking him if he wants to check out her niece. Its called "Yentaing."
No comments:
Post a Comment