Ok, so last week I had an assignment - to pray randomly. It didnt quite go as I expected. Thought I was gonna pray for people and just see God moving all over.
Well heres the breakdown of the week:
Monday
A friend shared a dream she had and I was able to share with her how I thought the Lord was encouraging her. But I totally forgot to pray.
Tuesday
I saw a teen that came to youth group with a friend awhile back. Said hi and all then moved on.
Wednesday
Talked with another friend and encouraged her through an issue and that she needed to address some things in her relationship with another person. A shift in paradigm did take place in the conversation. Then had to get back to work. Forgot to pray.
Wednesday night met with the girls for our small group, and of course we prayed. It was a Christian meeting. Duh. So that doesn't count. But our conversation time was pretty nuts. Thats all I can say without telling you what we talked about. But lets just say it was beyond real.
Thursday
I didnt pray, but again did see God glorified through conversations and actions.
Friday
I don't remember.
Saturday
We did an outreach to the Palolo Housing community. That was awesome. We made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and handed them out door to door. We did pray for people. But then again that was in the context of doing a church thing. Our whole agenda was to ask if there was anything we could just pray for them and that was it.
I gotta tell you, one uncle was so cool, he invited us into his house to show off all his hobby work. He makes lamps with drift wood and carves owls out of coral and then covers them with feathers. They were super cool looking. He was very proud to show off his work and I think to have a few visitors.
So I did pray for people but not in my everyday life. And some didnt know I prayed for them. Oh wait. Saturday night, hung out at Kapiolani Park with the girls and listened to the concert at the shell. I did pray for one of the girls later that night.
Oh, Sunday
I crashed into a car. Yeah, I was totally tripping. I was taking the University exit and I saw the car in front of me kinda move a little. It was clear so I looked and decided to go. Before I looked ahead again I had already steped on the gas and then boom - I hit them. The guy got out and the girl got out and they were all mad and kinda yelling and looking at their car. Being that we were still on the off ramp and cars were piling up I told them to pull over. I dunno why but I had to tell them like 3 times and even another guy was yelling at them. So finally they pull over. So I know I'm in the wrong and I'm just expecting them to be all nuts on me. So I get my information and walk up to them. Their car had like 3 small scratches on the bumper. But the guy was all holding his neck. So I just said I was so sorry and then they fully changed their whole demeanor. I was a little confused. So they said they didn't need my insurance info and it was fine. So I asked about his neck and he said its was sore and that he had a tumor in his neck.
Now at this point I'm thinking, yeah this is what I want to pray for and see God do. That'd be so great if this guy got hit by a car then prayer and then he got healed. Don't you agree!?! But I couldn't do it. It just felt so weird. It was like I was scared he would snap on me and think I was nuts. And I couldn't think of any natural way to say it that would make it sound like it was what any old Josey would do in the situation.
So I gave them my number and got in my car and prayed he'd be healed and God would bless him. Dunno if it was a missed opportunity or not, cause I didn't step out. I could've stepped out and been all, oops, that wasn't really an opporutnity at all. But now I'll never know. Unless they call me to sue me then maybe I can offer to pray for him then. Hmmm. Not looking forward to that call.
This whole process that has been very humbling for me for two reasons:
1. I don't know how to naturally offer someone a blessing, and just recognize the opportunity to ask the Lord to meet a need or enter into the situation. Its kinda awkward and honestly I'm scared they'll think I'm a freak. I'm fine with being a freak and knocking on doors, and I can hide behind the agenda. But when it comes to everyday sitations, I don't feel comfortable.
2. I tend to forget to ask the Lord to come into the situation. That really tells me I rely on what I think more than Him being in control.
It's really very humbling to see how much I think I rely on God and I really don't. I guess I'm still human after all. I guess I have some things to work on. But hey, nothing ventured - nothing gained. So I do see some gain in this. I also realize its not always what I think I should do, but God works inspite of me also. Sometimes He lets me join in the fun. Just gotta learn to follow His lead a little better.
Missed opportunities are like catching waves. I'll often let the big ones go by because I think I'll get slammed. But then when I'm tired of not catching anything, I'll go for the big one. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I get slammed. I never really know til I go for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment