Sunday, December 11, 2005

Coptic Church

Today I went to the Coptic church here in Honolulu. I walked in to a room filled with smoke. My eyes watered as I walked through the incense haze. I noticed the couple that walked in with me seperated. The husband walked to the other side while his wife found a seat on the side where most of the women were.

One woman sat on the side where the men were, I dont know why. I figured I better just sit where the majority of the women were. Not all the women had their heads covered, but some had scarves. One woman, very fashionably had a leopard print head scarf.

There were only about 15 people in the room and the service was done in English and Arabic, I think. Although the screen had english text and Greek text.

There was a part of the service where everyone went up to eachother with their hands together as if to pray. Then they touched their praying hands to the other person's and then kissed their hands. It was something like that. The most I could surmise was they were "praying blessing" on eachother. I dunno.

The service went on for a long time. There was a short message about humility and then more scripture being sung in Arabic and English.

Then there was communion. I didnt go up because
1) I didn't have a scarf ... and 2) I know for Catholics you need to go through Cathecism classes to be able to take communion. I didn't know if it was the same or not.

So I just cruised. Then the Father later walked down the aisle and sprinkled everyone with water. I wondered if he would sprinkle me and as he walked by me he looked at me, as if to see if I wanted to be sprinkled. I smiled, and apparently thought very loudly, "I want a blessing!" He then sprinkled a handful of water my way.

After the service one of the older men welcomed me and had me walk down to get bread and then have "breakfast" with them. It was noon, but I figured as it was his church, he can call it whatever he wanted, so I said ok.

The main reason I was there was that my friend, who is now in Egypt as a missionary, had built relationship with the Father before she left. She wanted to learn Arabic and whatever she could to prepare her for her time in Egypt. Now the Father is going to take a group to Cairo to visit the churches and the sites there. I was dropping off items for them to take to her.

It was really nice to sit and eat Egyptian food and hear Arabic conversation. I haven't heard women speak Arabic in so long. I could only pick out a few words here and there. It was great because they didnt know I was listening.

I don't think I'm gonna go to the service again, as its so long and I dont understand a thing. They are singing the words so I cant make out anything and every now and then I realize its English.

But they have a Sat night study that sounds quite interesting. I haven't decided if I'll go check that out. If the Lord tells me to, I will go, if not, no need.

It was a cool cultural experience and its amazing I don't smell like incense.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the experience!!!!

I met a girl who was coptic. She was cool to talk with but we didn't get to talk much so I didn't learn as much as I wanted about her church. I found it fascinating & wished I could have attended a coptic service.

DT