Monday, November 28, 2005

Birthday's Are the Best

For the last few years God has just given me the best birthdays. I think it all started on my 30th birthday. That was the year my roomates and friends came over and had me dress up in different outfits before I opened a present.

They sat around and ate all the chocolate fondu while I was sent off to keep changing outfits. All I had was beer or wine and a few pupus before the show started. By the end there was a little fondu left for me. Actually, as Miss Congeneality I was able to get in a few bites for the photos. But the other outfits didn't match. There was Trinity from Matrix, Hindu Mama, China Doll, Princess Leia, Trailer Trash, Barefoot & Pregnant, Haunani K. Trask (Hawaiian activist), State Office Worker, etc, etc.

That was a fun turning 30 party. And yes I have photos but you are not going to see them. The best part was my roomate who pulled out her high school cheerleading outfit. She thought I was gonna wear it but instead we got her to put it on and make up a cheer for me. She did great.

The next year I bought my car on my birthday and the licence number is GVN ###. It was a gift from God. I love my little car. Its nothing cool or anything, but its mine.

For my 33rd, I went to Thailand. Need I say more?

And this year, I got a bunch of awesome blessings. I moved into Debs old room. Its bigger and has its own entrance. I was fine in the smaller room but I could move in here so I did. And I love it. I still need to organize some of my junk, but I threw out a bunch of stuff. It feels so good to clean out.

Its like this year I got a bunch of early blessings. On Sunday I got cake at church, today I got an email from Ms. Viks in Egypt and tonite I had an awesome dinner with my roomates and the Nussies. And tomorrow is actually my birthday, its so cool.

But the best gift of all was my call from my aunty. My mom told me about a week ago she called. We hadn't heard from her in years. She was living in Waianae and not doing so good. I was so glad to hear she was alive. I didn't know how to get a hold of her at all or how she was or if she'd talk to me if I did get a hold of her.

So tonite she called. I am her namesake, I have her name for my middle name. I heard the phone ring from the other room and came in to answer it, but missed it. When I looked at the number I didnt know who it was. I checked the message and heard some woman singing Happy Birthday to me. About half way through I realized who it was. I was so shocked.

I called her back and we quickly caught up. There wasn't a whole lot, even after 13 years. We didn't even talk about the hard stuff. Just the light points. I told her I had missed her and prayed for her and that her call was the best birthday gift. Her life is turned around. Still hard but way, way, way, better than it was. It was pretty horrible those last 10 or so years.

I have to say though that talking to her beats the my new place, Thailand, the car and the dress up party. I am stoked to celebrate tomorrow because as the father said of his lost son to his other son, "...we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found."

Aunty is alive again and she is found again. Once she was gone from us and we lost her but now she is back and I praise God she is well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Popped in to say "HAPPY BIRTHDAY SMELLI GIRL!!"
It doesn't lool like you've visited your my space? Hope all is well. FIShy
Let's do something for your bday

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelli Belli! Wishing you a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I'm so glad I got to spend your 30th with you - brings back memories to read about it! - and bummed not to be there this year. I hope you had a GREAT day! Love you and miss you!
Veronika