I been noticing a lot of love in the air lately. I dunno if that is the right word but thats just what I'm gonna call it to keep things simple. Personally I hate crushes, I hate the madness of desiring someone I am uncertain about and I really hate rejection.
Over the past 7 years I've have learned the ultimate torture of my own heart over my mind. My heart can turn a look from a man or a word into a movie about the rest of my life. My mind knows it ridiculous but I can't turn the movie off.
In the struggle to get my heart to see rationally, I feel like that guy in the fight club where he's beating himself up and he's trying to fight back but it still ends up with him beating himself up. It's all very exhausting.
But I have to admit I've gained some ground on the dealing with the tempest of my heart and know how to ride it out a lot better. Its kinda like Jesus calming the storm, but i'm not quite that good at it yet.
Basically, a number of years ago, I met a man who loved God more than his own life. When I looked at him I could see God's love all over him and I felt like I could see Jesus in his eyes. The anointing on him was so obvious and he was always kind to me. I could feel my heart composing the story of the rest of my life with this man.
The trouble was he was not available. There were a bunch of other details that also made it clear he wasn't for me, but even though my mind knew that my heart didn't listen.
I struggled in every possible way with this issue. I tried to cut him down and see his bad points and hate him. I tried to be mean to him and provoke him to be a jerk. Then I was convicted by the Lord that I was dishonoring His son whom he loved.
I tried to find other guys I could crush on. I tried to dedicate myself to the Lord for a year, and then another year. I prayed and prayed and prayed and asked the Lord to tell me if this man was His best choice for me. Even the Lord told me himself he was not for me.
I would cry out to the Lord to free my heart from this desire. Sometimes I'd be driving in my car with the windows up shouting my prayers to Him, to make sure He could hear me in Heaven. For a few days after, I'd feel clear headed and in control. Then it would come back. I had my friends talk with me and pray for me, but still I felt totally vicitmized by this crush.
This went on for a number of years and I'm certain he knew I crushed on him. But during that whole time he never rejected me or condemned me. I expected that if I liked a guy who didn't like me he'd just reject me and I could hate him or move on. But he always treated me with love, kindness and acceptance. That blows me away, even now.
We're still friends, and he is still an amazing man, but I finally got free. Don't ask how, I don't know. It was just gradual and less tormenting. But I had to keep coming before the Lord and give myself up to Him.
I know the Lord built character and self control in me and more. I think sometimes when people are attracted to someone they just look at the basics and not what the Lord has to say about it. Or what the Lord might have for them later. What about destiny? What about calling? What does this person think about the things you love and value?
I have a few friends who married men who were very different than them in value and calling. They are all Christian but their lives are on a different track now, than they were before they married. I believe the Lord can redeem that but there have been compromises along the way that need to be dealt with, too.
I've been attracted to other guys also, but I want a man that I can see Jesus in. Believe me I still battle with my heart telling me to like this guy or that one, but nothing is like that long battle I lived through. That battle really taught me how to manage my heart when it acts up.
I could've just avoided him and cut out so much I've learned in my life. It was hard but it was worth it to not run. I've learned that I can be loved and affirmed, without having to plug into that source to rely on forever. The source I need to plug into is Jesus and get it from him.
With all this talk about being attracted to a person or desiring another, I think its so much easier to ride out your emotions rather than taking them captive and controlling oneself. But there is a cost to one's heart, spirit and I'd say even to one's self image.
But if a person does take the hard road the benefits are huge. If you wait it out, guard you heart and allow God to make anything happen, if that is in His plan for you, it is much less humiliating, less fragmenting and it will strengthen whatever relationship does take root.
If a good man comes into my life and nothing comes of it, then God must have something even better in mind for me. And I think if we all wait on the Lord, we'll get more than we could imagine or hope for. That's my logic at least. It isn't easy, and can be tormenting or like riding out a storm, but God only has His BEST in store for us so it must be worth the wait.
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Tempest of Love
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Great posts Kells,
I admire you for putting yourself out there like that. Very cool and the conclusion you came to is wisdom at a sublime level.
Being a guy it is hard to admit I have crushes but I do. They tear me up inside and are extremely frustrating at times. This post is a great reminder for me & (I'm sure many others) to wait on God.
my innter Paris Hilton thinks this post is "hot"
Duane
Good stuff Kelli Belli.
Ugh, I can hear that middle school voice in my head saying "they wouldn't call them "crushes" if they didn't hurt". Blech.
It's that rise and fall of hope, the hope of intimacy to know and be known, Really Known and Loved, that is programed into us and reflects God's own desire. Only the Lord can satisfy that to the fullness. All creation groans and waits right?...I'll just add mine to the lot and continue to learn He always pursues us.
P.S. Duane, can everyone have an inner Paris Hilton? How did you get one? :)
The heart and the mind. Emotions and the intellect. Sometimes the conflict between the two can make one feel schizophrenic. And it's when love is on the table that the conflict between the two becomes most heated. I've written about this before and I'll quote it here (cleaned up, see blog 86 for the unedited version) because I think it's a funny way of talking about the conflict. When I wrote it, I (like you in the beginning with that guy) was attracted to someone who I knew wasn't right for me. And in my head I tried to reason with my heart but it didn't want to listen. And I described it this way:
See the heart is like a dog and the mind is like its master. The heart wants to please but it's stupid and has a habit of peeing on all the wrong things. And so the mind tries to train the heart, to discipline it, to make it listen to its commands. And sometimes it works and the heart is stable and happy and all is well in the world.
But then the heart sees something it wants and sometimes it wants it so badly that all the training in the world won't stop it. All the animal instincts return and you just can't reason with it. The mind tries to beat it down, tie it up, trick it into chasing something more constructive but you can take an animal out of the wild...
And that's what happened to me. My heart fell for someone and no matter how I reasoned with it, no matter how many warnings I gave it, no matter how tight the collar or how close I held the leash, that dog will hunt.
It'd be one thing if heart and mind were separated like man and beast because then you could just let your heart run free, get it's butt kicked and then when it comes whimpering back to you, you just nurse it back to health and go on with life. Unfortunately, you can't let go of the leash. You're tethered to that animal and you can't break free. If your heart starts dragging your mind off some dead end cliff, you may as well kiss your happy self goodbye because you're going over with it whether you like it or not.
Kelli, you are an amazing, beautiful woman, overflowing with life and you have this uncanny gift that allows you to see what remains hidden to most people. And I know you're tired of hearing it (God knows I was every time someone tried to tell me this) but the reason you've had to wait for so long is because that's how long it's taking God to prepare the man he has planned for you - he's that special and you're worth that much.
Hang in there. Never settle, not with this - not with your heart.
I second what the last anonymous poster said. You are an amazing woman Kells and God has some phenominal man he is preparing for you!!
Lisa
Everyone can have an inner Paris or inner anyone...but you have to be able to do a half way decent impersonation of that person. (I also have an inner Forrest Gump, Sean Connery, Kneanu Reeves, Howard Cosell, & Ronald Reagan.)
Wow, Kelli, thanks for posting this. I can relate (a little too much). My brain is pretty much mush right now, but I plan to visit your blog more in the future.
(And thanks, Duane, for telling me about Kelli's blog)
hi kellz! =) i wandered here from some random sites - i'm glad i found your blog! i don't know if you remember me, but i was part of mgmc's halau --- btw, i'm back @ mgmc from a brief stint @ kakaako. i was actually kinda surprised to read this entry - you seem like such an awesome, vibrant person, that i can't imagine there's 'no prospects in sight'!!! your last paragraph really encouraged me. some things happened last week that got me questioning my whole stance on relationships and whether or not it was worth it to hold out for God's best. i was getting pretty tired of waiting (and had pretty much given up on the idea of ever finding someone) & nearly got myself into trouble. ya know, if i'm gonna be single for the rest of my life anyway, why not (mess around with someone who already has a g*friend)? messed up, yah??? but God is good. and i had an awesome quiet time after that (venting session turned into repentance/worship). i'm glad my Daddy protected me from getting myself hurt, even though i wasn't too happy about him intervening...
Post a Comment